Friday, May 14, 2010

A Nostalgic Meal

I recreated one of my favorite dishes my mom used to cook when I was a kid. It's the easiest and fastest dish to make. All you need is ground pork, frozen peas and corn. I marinated the pork with soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Heated up a pan with a bit of olive oil, and tossed in some minced garlic until slightly browned. Then thoroughly cooked the ground pork until it was no longer pink. And finally, I added the peas & corn and some salt & pepper to taste. Voila! The whole process must've taken me less than 20 minutes starting from the time I defrosted the pork til I was sitting down to eat. I also had some kkak-do-gi (or radish kimchi) that my mother-in-law made. Gotta balance the Chinese food with some Korean! :)

One of our friends just introduced us to steel cut oats. Apparently, they're really good for you. Much better than white rice. You can cook them in a pressure rice cooker the same way as white rice. We mixed 2 cups of white rice with 1 cup of the steel cut oats. We like this mixture a little more than just plain steel cut oats because it's a little less dry. You should give it a try!


Jobie was totally salivating as I was cooking. My vet just told me yesterday that I can add some green beans or peas to Jobie's dog food to fill her up without giving her too many calories. So I mixed in some frozen peas with her kibble last night. She gobbled that up in seconds! She kept licking the bowl and looking at me. Aww... I hate it when she looks at me all sad like that! So after I was done eating my lunch, I microwaved some frozen peas for her. Who would've thought dogs like PEAS! Have a happy weekend! The weather is finally nice again!

1 comment:

  1. lovely photos cindy! i'll have to give peas to my dogs next time =)

    ReplyDelete